Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti named Neymar in his 26-man World Cup squad on Monday, ending uncertainties over whether the veteran forward would make the tournament after a lengthy recovery from a serious knee injury.
The 34-year-old Santos striker, Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 goals, is set to feature in his fourth World Cup despite struggling for fitness since tearing his left ACL in October 2023.
Speaking at a news conference in Rio de Janeiro, Ancelotti said Neymar’s experience and influence within the squad played a major role in his selection.
“He has improved his fitness,” Ancelotti said. “He will be an important player in this World Cup.”
The Italian coach added that Neymar’s leadership and composure in high-pressure moments made him valuable regardless of how many minutes he plays during the tournament.
Brazil’s squad also includes key attacking stars Vinícius Júnior and Raphinha, while Endrick and Rayan earned their first World Cup call-ups after edging out João Pedro and Antony for the final attacking spots.
Ancelotti admitted selecting the final squad was difficult due to the depth of talent available, though injuries to Rodrygo and Estêvão were major setbacks ahead of the tournament in North America.
The Brazilian Football Confederation also confirmed last week that Ancelotti had extended his contract through the 2030 World Cup.
Brazil begin their World Cup campaign against Morocco national football team in New Jersey on June 13 before facing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.
Oluwagbemisola Babalola