The United Nations has moved emergency personnel, funding, and supplies into eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to counter the fast-growing Ebola outbreak spreading through conflict-ravaged provinces.
This comes as Uganda has confirmed three new cases, bringing the total to five since the virus was discovered in the East African country on May 15.
Meanwhile, the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) on Saturday placed pharmacists and community pharmacies across the country on high alert following a fresh Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreak reported in parts of Central and East Africa.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday raised the national risk assessment for DRC to “very high”, although the global risk remains “low”.
So far, 82 cases and seven deaths have been confirmed in DRC, but the WHO said the real scale of the outbreak was likely far larger.
The global health body said there were nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths reported.
UN’s Emergency Relief Coordinator, Tom Fletcher, announced the allocation of 60 million dollars from the Central Emergency Response Fund to support the response in DRC and neighbouring countries.
“These are tough operating environments for lifesaving work,” Fletcher said.
“We face conflict and high population movement.”
He stressed the importance of securing access for frontline responders, including in areas controlled by armed groups.
“It is essential that there is no obstruction,” he said.
WHO said the outbreak was unfolding amid intensified fighting, mass displacement, and deep mistrust of outside authorities, fuelled by rumours and misinformation.
One hospital in Ituri province on Thursday was reportedly set on fire by angry relatives after authorities refused to release the body of a deceased family member, fearing contamination.
Two cases, linked to travel from DRC, have been confirmed in Uganda, including one death.
Similarly, two American nationals, including a doctor and another person described as a “high-risk contact”, have been transferred to Europe for treatment or monitoring.
WHO said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there were no approved vaccines or therapeutics.
Meanwhile, Uganda has confirmed three new cases of Ebola.
“Three new cases of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) have been confirmed in the country,” the health ministry said, naming the patients as a Ugandan driver, a Ugandan health worker, and a woman from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the epicentre of a deadly outbreak sowing fear in the region.
“The ministry continues to strengthen surveillance, case management, contact tracing, and public awareness efforts to contain the outbreak and protect the health and safety of all Ugandans,” it said in a statement on X.
The news came a day after the World Health Organisation said the risk from the outbreak had been raised to the highest level for the DRC.
On Thursday, Uganda suspended all public transport to the DRC after confirming two cases of Ebola — one infection and one death — involving Congolese nationals who crossed the border