Siaya Governor James Orengo has linked the withdrawal of his security detail to his relentless criticism of President William Ruto’s administration and his growing role in the opposition-leaning Linda Mwananchi movement.
The governor protested what he described as the abrupt and unlawful withdrawal of his personal security officers and those stationed at his Nairobi residence on May 19, 2026, saying the action was politically motivated and intended to intimidate him into silence.
In a strongly worded protest letter dated May 20, 2026 and addressed to the Inspector General of Police, Mr Orengo said the officers were withdrawn without prior notice, formal communication, or the deployment of replacement personnel.
The veteran politician argued that the move was not an isolated security adjustment, but part of a broader pattern targeting leaders opposed to the Kenya Kwanza administration.
Mr Orengo has emerged as one of the most vocal figures within the Linda Mwananchi faction of the Orange Democratic Movement Party, a group that has openly challenged President Ruto’s leadership and rejected his bid for a second term.
For months, the Siaya Governor has crisscrossed the country, speaking against the high cost of living, soaring fuel prices, police brutality and the country’s mounting debt burden. His rallies have increasingly cast him as one of the fiercest critics of the current administration.
“I will not be intimidated,” the Governor maintained, insisting that the withdrawal of his security was meant to frustrate and harass him because of his political stand.
“As a State Officer under the Constitution of Kenya, the provision of security is not a privilege or a discretionary favour. It is a statutory entitlement designed to facilitate the execution of official mandates without fear of compromise or harm,” said Mr Orengo.
He demanded an official explanation on the grounds upon which the withdrawal was authorised and called for the immediate reinstatement or replacement of his security officers at all designated stations, including his Nairobi residence.
Copies of the protest letter were also sent to the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration, the Chairperson of the Council of Governors and the Siaya County Police Commander.
The latest incident revives memories of the 2023 anti-government protests, when several allies of the late Raila Odinga reportedly had their security details withdrawn amid mounting political tensions.
Mr Orengo further cited events in March this year, when his bodyguard and several members of his staff were arrested and detained in Nairobi, Kisumu and Siaya under what he termed mysterious circumstances.
His bodyguard was reportedly arrested in Nairobi at about 7.30 pm and taken to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations headquarters, where he was allegedly held incommunicado.
Eight members of the Governor’s staff, including his communications officer, were also arrested the same evening and detained at various police stations across Kisumu and Siaya counties.
The arrests came only days after Mr Orengo’s Personal Assistant had been summoned to record a statement with investigators.
According to the Governor, the crackdown was linked to President William Ruto’s visit to Siaya the following day for the homecoming ceremony of Medical Services Principal Secretary Dr Ouma Oluga in Uyoma, Rarieda Constituency.
Mr Orengo claimed police had strict instructions not to release the detainees until after the President’s event had concluded.
“This egregious conduct on the part of the police has no place in a constitutional democracy. This is meant to intimidate and harass us, but it will not deter us from continuing with our cause,” said Mr Orengo.
The arrests also coincided with preparations for the planned Linda Mwananchi rally at Jacaranda Grounds in Nairobi, where the Orengo led team intended to unveil what they described as a parallel report on the implementation of the political MoU signed between President Ruto and the late Raila Odinga.