Nigerians have been urged to remain calm after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) confirmed that the country has not recorded any Ebola case linked to the ongoing outbreak in Central Africa.
In a public health advisory issued on Wednesday, the agency said surveillance and preparedness efforts were ongoing nationwide following concerns over a regional outbreak in Central Africa. The NCDC stressed that unverified reports circulating online could create unnecessary panic, insisting that Nigeria remains Ebola-free. It also dismissed claims that salt water, bitter kola, herbs or seasoning cubes could prevent or cure the disease, advising Nigerians to seek medical care promptly if symptoms develop instead of resorting to self-medication.
The agency further clarified that Ebola and Hantavirus are different diseases with separate modes of transmission, noting that Ebola spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected persons, while Hantavirus is mainly linked to rodent droppings.
The NCDC also warned against assuming every fever-related illness is Ebola, explaining that diseases such as malaria, typhoid and Lassa fever can present similar symptoms.
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda an international health emergency due to fears of regional spread. According to the WHO, 528 suspected cases and 132 deaths had been reported in the affected countries as of May 18.
In response, Nigerian authorities said surveillance at points of entry and international airports had been intensified, with the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) introducing additional health screening and monitoring measures.