As the build-up to the 2027 presidential election gains momentum, Peter Obi has dismissed speculation that former President Goodluck Jonathan may enter the race.
Obi made the remarks on Tuesday after being screened as a presidential aspirant under the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) ahead of the 2027 election. The Tanimu Turaki-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had earlier reportedly declared Jonathan as its candidate for the upcoming contest.
Responding to journalists, Obi said he is not focused on who his opponents may be, stressing that his priority remains national development. He said democracy allows individuals to offer themselves for service and be voted for, adding that he is not preoccupied with political competition.
He also described his screening by the NDC as “democracy in action”, praising the party for what he called a structured and transparent process.
According to him, the screening committee, chaired by former governor Sam Egwu, examined his credentials and commitment to governance over a period of about two hours. He noted that the process was necessary to verify qualifications, supporting documents, and clarity of vision for national leadership.
Obi further dismissed suggestions that he had emerged as a consensus candidate of the party, insisting that the process remains open since expression of interest forms were made available to all aspirants and he simply followed due process.
He commended the NDC for conducting what he described as a fair and transparent screening exercise.