The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has declared that longstanding concerns of marginalisation in Nigeria’s South-East have been effectively addressed under President Bola Tinubu, expressing confidence that the region will deliver up to 90 per cent electoral support for the President in the 2027 general election.
Umahi made the remarks on Saturday while inspecting ongoing construction at the Alaoji axis of the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway, a major federal infrastructure project traversing the South-East and South-South regions.
According to the minister, the Tinubu administration has demonstrated unprecedented commitment to the development of the South-East through key appointments and large-scale infrastructure investments.
“All the marginalisation we used to complain about has been addressed by the President. If we are sincere with ourselves, there is no more marginalisation in the South-East,” Umahi said.
He described his appointment as Minister of Works as a historic milestone for the zone, noting that the South-East had never previously held the portfolio. He pointed to the scale and spread of ongoing federal road projects across the region as evidence of the administration’s goodwill.
“You can see the scope of work from Port Harcourt to Enugu. Every section is active and progressing toward completion. Never in Nigeria’s history has the South-East benefited this much in terms of federal infrastructure,” he added.
Reflecting on his tenure as deputy governor and later governor, Umahi said no major federal road projects were executed in his state during that period, contrasting it with what he described as trillions of naira worth of projects currently underway in the region.
He further highlighted what he termed the President’s “legacy projects” in the South-East, alongside strategic federal appointments, including service chiefs and other high-ranking officials from the zone.
Calling for political reciprocity, Umahi urged the people of the South-East to rally behind Tinubu in 2027 rather than be swayed by sentiment.
“We should not allow emotions or non-strategic decisions to guide us. We must recognise what has been done and respond appropriately,” he said, adding that it is not yet the turn of the South-East geopolitical zone to produce Nigeria’s president.
In an apparent reference to Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, Umahi said the region should adopt a strategic approach to national politics.
The minister also assured the construction firm handling the expressway project of the prompt release of funds to ensure timely completion, ahead of the President’s planned tour of projects in the South-East and South-South zones in May.