Residents of Share, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area in Kwara State, were thrown into panic on Sunday evening following a prolonged exchange of gunfire between suspected bandits and security operatives.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers confronted a joint security team comprising personnel of the Nigerian Army, forest guards, and local vigilante groups. The confrontation, which began at about 8:30 p.m. and lasted nearly an hour, occurred close to the Ifelodun Local Government Secretariat.
Security sources confirmed that the swift and coordinated response of the operatives forced the assailants to retreat, effectively preventing what could have developed into a major attack. Authorities reported no confirmed casualties or abductions in connection with the Share incident.
The clash came just hours after suspected bandits struck Kakafu community in Patigi Local Government Area during an early-morning raid around 1:30 a.m. Four residents — a man, a woman, and her two daughters — were abducted in the attack.
Residents said the gunmen fired sporadically into the air upon arrival, sending villagers scrambling for safety before taking the victims to an unknown destination. A local source disclosed that the assailants met no resistance during the operation.
“They did not kill anyone. They simply abducted the four victims and fired indiscriminately to create panic and confusion,” the source said.
A forest guard, who requested anonymity, described the community as traumatised and fearful of further attacks.
“People are still in shock. There is widespread anxiety because the gunmen are believed to be hiding in nearby settlements,” he said.
Kwara State has witnessed a disturbing surge in violent attacks in recent months, with armed groups carrying out killings and kidnappings for ransom across several communities. Earlier this month, suspected terrorists reportedly launched a deadly overnight assault on villages in the Kaiama area, heightening fears about the worsening security climate.
Security analysts warn that armed groups may be attempting to expand their operations southward along the Niger–Kwara corridor toward the Kainji forest region — a move that could significantly complicate counter-insurgency efforts.
The deteriorating security situation has attracted international attention. Last year, former U.S. President Donald Trump publicly criticised Nigeria over persistent violence and mass kidnappings.
However, the administration of Bola Tinubu insists it is intensifying collaboration with global partners and strengthening security architecture to protect vulnerable communities.
Authorities say investigations are ongoing to apprehend those responsible for the latest attacks and to restore lasting calm to the affected areas.