Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has called for the swift publication of the presidential election results in Guinea-Bissau, warning that delays threaten democracy in West Africa.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja, Jonathan stressed that announcing the outcome would reaffirm the integrity of the electoral process. He insisted that both the African Union (AU) and ECOWAS already possess authentic results and have a duty to make them public.
“My conviction is that ECOWAS and the AU must announce the result. They were present in all the regions. They cannot change anything. They should tally the figures and declare the winner. They cannot force the military out, but they must let the world know who won that election. They owe the world that responsibility,” Jonathan said.
The former Bayelsa governor expressed deep concern over the unfolding situation, noting his longstanding commitment to Guinea-Bissau’s democratic stability.
“Who is fooling whom? What happened in Guinea-Bissau is deeply disturbing to me as someone who believes in democracy. I feel more pained than the day I called [former President Muhammadu] Buhari to congratulate him after losing my own election,” he added.
Jonathan, who served on the West African Elders Forum delegation during the polls, confirmed that the elections were peaceful and credible. He said that the nine regional results had already been collated and were nearly ready for announcement before the military intervened.
“While we were awaiting the final announcement, President [Umaro] Embaló suddenly declared there was a coup and that he had been arrested. But from all indications, nobody actually arrested him,” Jonathan recounted.
Drawing parallels to the 2010 post-election crisis in Côte d’Ivoire, which he managed as ECOWAS chairman, Jonathan urged West African leaders to act decisively to safeguard democracy in Guinea-Bissau.
Following the coup, General Denis N’Canha, head of the presidential military office, stated that a command comprising all branches of the armed forces would lead the country “until further notice.” The officers detained President Umaro Embaló, widely seen as the likely winner of Sunday’s election, though he later traveled to Senegal.
The day after the coup, the military appointed General Horta N’Tam, the army’s chief of staff, as Guinea-Bissau’s interim leader for a one-year term.